Friday, 22 November 2013


1. TITLE: RIGGING FOR ANIMATION

2. INTRODUCTION:

This proposal is to determine the best approach to simplifying the interface of a cartoony character. Project focuses primarily on the rigging. The end goal is to present character animation rigs with a simple interface. For my project I am going to use Autodesk 3d Maya software.

3. RATIONALE FOR PROJECT CHOICE:

I have chosen this project because I have a previous knowledge of rigging. Through this project I want to know much more about rigging.  We have a very short period of time to complete this project, so I don’t want to make it complex. I want to keep it simple so that I can complete this project on time.

Secondly I am very much interested in this field. In second year we learned the process of rigging. I tried that and liked it very much.

4. AREA OF INVESTIGATION:

 Rigging creature could be humanoid, alien, animal, robotic or whatever. In this project I am going to do character rigging which would be cartoony rig. My project based on rigging so, having knowledge about anatomy is a very important basis for creating skeleton and muscle deformation. I researched a lot about human anatomy such as skeleton system, palm, and spine.

 




 

 

5. BACKGROUND RESEARCH:

Rigging is a very vast subject. Autodesk 3D Maya and Max, tools makes it very simpler to create virtually any animation rig setup.

Scripting is also one of the process of rigging, such as MAXScript and MEL, which is available in Autodesk MAYA and 3D MAX.Scripting language is very powerful which allow the rigging artist to change attributes such as translation and rotational combine attribute into simple and complex mathematic expressions. Tools and scripting can come together to create something simple for an animator.

I watched many videos on the internet and read lots of tutorials about rigging. I joined digital tutor so that I can familiar with new tools and techniques.

6. LITERATURE REVIEW:

There are many different types of rigging process, some methods are more complicated than others and some do not deliver the desired amount of control to the animator. There are many features which rigger artist can add such as IK, FK controls, twist joints. Chris Maraffi, the author of a handful of books on the topic of the rigging for animation. Presents his version of a human arm rig and controls in a very in-depth and methodical fashion.Maraffi breaks down the “why” aspect of the problem when explaining movement, such as shoulder and forearm rotation, then he delves into the “how” side of the problem explaining how to create and connect each joint and controller. (Maraffi, MEL scripting a character rig in Maya, 2009.Both of character animation and rigged books focused on Maya. MEL scripting a character rigs in Maya and Maya character creation modelling and animation controls, feature differing degrees of complexity in the arm setup.

Wilkins, Mark R. and Kazmier, Chris (2005) Mel Scripting for Maya Animation. Second edition. United State of America: Morgan Kaufmann.

 

Ritchie, Kieran. Alexander, Oleg. And Biri, Karim. (2006)The art of rigging.cg toolkit. Three and three.

 

Maraffi, Chris. (2009)Mel Scripting a character rig in Maya. New riders.United states of America.

 

Websites which I am looking for:




 

Journals which I looked that is:

Siggraph

Animation World Network

Cinefex

 

 

7. METHODOLOGY:

There are two characters both are biped. The study begin with the creation of 3D mesh of a biped character. The character has one head with teeth. The character has two legs for biped movement. Texture creation is not a high priority for this model since movement is the primary focus.

The first step would be model the character and secondly I will texture that model. Third step will be create the skeletal system with joints in Maya.skeloton will start from head and end on toe. For arms and legs IK/FK handle technique will follw.Controller handles will create using NURBS primitives in Maya. Would like to add attributes for movement, such as opening and folding the palm. Driven key frames, Expressions or direct connection between these attributes are create for all joints requiring for this type of setup.

 

 

8. RESEARCH ETHICS:

My project doesn’t deal with any ethics.

 

 

 

9. PROJECT PLAN:

 

JOBS
START DATE
FINISH DATE
Research
19/10/13
31/10/13
Pre-production
01/11/13
10/11/13
modelling
11/11/13
29/11/13
Formal progress review
29/11/13
 
texturing
30/11/13
08/12/13
rigging
10/12/13
28/02/14
Clean up and final product
01/03/14
20/03/14
Final hand in date
21/03/14
 
SPRING BREAK
 
 
Viva
21/04/14 and 16/05/14
 

 

10. PROJECT DELIVERABLE:

 

When I will present my final product that would be in movie format. I will animate my rig so that it looks believable Final product will be character rig.

 

 

11. REFERENCES:

 

Simple character rigging in Maya (2009-2013) available at: http://www.braverabbit.de/playground/?p=595(17/10/2013)

 

Google.com

 

Digitaltutors.com

 

Animationrigs.com

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment